Drained

Posted by Tomi O on Thursday, December 27, 2012 with 10 comments
 
 
 

I knew there was something wrong with me, I could not understand. When my mum came to me that afternoon, I was reluctant to give her an answer, she meant well, I understood but I was afraid of them

“what if they make me hurt someone?” I thought

“You have to go and spend time with your uncle, you know right now I cannot really take care of you and your brother” I nodded in agreement.

The trip down to the Ogunyemi’s how was a long one and felt even longer because I didn’t want to be here, but I had their approval. The compound wasn’t too large or too small either, well furnished 3-bedroom apartment, they had 3 beautiful daughters; ages 5, 4 and 1, they warmed up to me quickly, we kicked off the love affair. I helped clean, helped the children with their homework, we played and they left me for a year, just when I thought they were gone then they showed up.

I felt the tap on my thigh that night, I wondered what my aunty wanted at that time of the night. I opened my eyes, I was wrong. They had come for me – Again.

“Its time” she said

All I had to do was hold her hands – I did reluctantly.

The roar of laughter reminded me that it was a reality, I was here again.

“How did you get her out?” The madam asked, directed to the person that brought me.

“The woman of the house travelled, the one that is always praying” she rolled her eyes

“We have been trying to get to you for a year now, but that woman would just not shut up, but now I’m sure you would come to us even after she comes back” she caressed my chin with her hands slowly. I got the message and got in line with the other girls, Listening to how things went down here was very different, I came back here everynight for the next 2 months and with every visit I lost a part of my humanity.

I could feel it drawing closer and closer, it was my turn, time for my mission and I couldn’t mess it up.

“Wait, damola. Why this dress again? She wore it to church last Sunday”

“Yes ma, but she looks so good in it, let her wear it again today”

She looked at lola who is oblivious of the happening around her and was ready for her party, she smiled

“Yes, she does. We are running late anyways, no time to change cloths, Lets go”

I stood there watching them panic

“I don’t know what’s wrong with her, she was fine before we left home” He said touching her head

“this is not the first time this is happening, should we take her to the hospital?”

“Morons, complete morons – don’t you notice its everytime she wears the dress she falls sick?” I thought to myself as I watched them

“let me get a cold cloth so we can dab her head” they nodded in agreement. I felt the smile at the corner of my lips as I turned my back against them.

I watched her lifeless attached to all the wires on the hospital bed, I sat across my aunt looking all worried and I didn’t feel anything, she stood up to pee and I just wanted to strangle the little brat and make my job easier, but then it’s a process, she has been drained.

“she would need blood transfusion, I cant explain but she needs the blood urgently” I overhead the doctor tell my uncle outside the room, I didn’t wait to listen to the rest of the conversation, I didn’t  need to. Things were going on according to plan.

She is awake, she looks weak and she’s smiling. I know she’s still small but can you see the confident smile? Even on the sick bed, she looks special even on the bed, no wonder they wanted her out of the way and I would help them get there.

Grandma was in town, she was going to spend the night with Lola.

We opened the door to the house, the pastor had come to visit, he was about to leave and he started praying; he paused and asked for that dress, when the dress was brought to the living room, he looked at the dress and looked at me and I knew right there that it was over.

I fell to my knees!


**************************************************************************

I'm sorry this is a bit gloomy for this season but this is based on a true-life story and i just wanted to get it all out there before the year is over. Yes, this is my story and i'm the one on the hospital bed and NO this aint a pity party, this is a way of getting to see things from her perspective because i've asked alot recently why someone would want to harm a small child but i came up with nothing and after listening to a sermon from a former witch and she says when people do things that they wont normally do its because there is a force behind it, and yesterday it just came to me to write about it and my sisters would know how touchy i have been since last night when i started, but now? i have more clarity and i'm ready to let it go.

Its the end of the year and i want to drop whatever baggage  is droppable, although there are not much but then, before i started writing this i had no idea i would feel this good after, but i Thank God for laying in my heart to write this.

You know what i learnt to help me forgive easily? Take the walk in their shoes, try and see it from the person's perspective, and know their story and it would even help us to judge people less - I know its helping me!

I would record my video today and bring you some smiles before the end of the year!

Have a wonderful end of  2012