Review: A Lady, her lover and her Lord

Posted by Tomi O on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 with 1 comment
Hello People,

How are you doing this week? Its been a while I did a Book review on here. One of the things I enjoy doing is reading and although I have stopped reading all the romance novels and 'Just because' books, I spend most of the time reading purpose-driven books or Fiction writers like Ted Dekker, Francine rivers, Frank Peretti etc. that even though its fiction there's a connection to Truth and all that embodies it.

This my life is too short to waste it taking in Junk.

So, onto the Book. I bought the book in September and I only finished it last weekend and its because I read bits and pieces of 2-3 books at the same time. I know I am not alone on this one.

A Lady, Her Lover and Her Lord - T. D. Jakes




The purpose of the Book is to emphasise the need for Balance in the life of a Lady, words of wisdom from the Bible and the writer on how to achieve it in our modern world.

My Thoughts; 

If you're like me and you love simple-straight-to-the-point writings, you will find yourself getting lost in all T D Jakes grammer that's through out the book and you probably won't get past the 3rd chapter. I really won't blame anyone that doesn't get past the first Book... The Lady!

HOWEVER, If you do push through (like I did ;)) There are ALOT of nuggets that we Ladies tend to forget amidst all the cares of life.

Let me remind you of some (Excerpts);

¨We learn to reach out, but only after we had a chance to reach inward and upward. It is the upward reach of the Spirit and the inward reach of the soul that enables the outward reach of the body¨

¨We train people how to treat us by how we treat ourselves¨

¨You must first establish your own identity¨

¨You will never become a minister as long as you lie in the hospital bed yourself. Get up and help someone else survive what you endured¨

¨Fulfilment is not always a matter of Income¨

¨Become a compass, a guide and avoid becoming everyone's final destination.  Serve them, love them, and then direct them to someone who never fails them. Understand you are not Christ, Just a star. The godly woman is a star.¨

Her Lover;

This is the 2nd part - and the most interesting for me because it gave an insight into the way a Man's mind works not in all the boring phycology terms and what not but in practical terms which makes it knda relatable. T. D. Jakes must have broken alot of 'bro-codes' I am very sure.

Here are some of my underlined 'Aha-moments'

¨The manufacturer would never decide that the product was no good just because it failed to function correctly. The engineer would study the design and alter the materials until he had achieved the desired results. Yet so easily scrap marriage that we have invested years in because of the slightest misalignment. We must remember that anything worth having is worth fighting for¨

¨Men are far different from women, and we need to know to understand those difference¨

¨Trust needs to be handles like a fragile treasure. Its value is great, but it is easily broken. Preserve the trust; a relationship cannot last without it¨

¨When he opens up to you, sometimes your silence will create the greatest impact. A loving nod, a touch, a few words and a kiss are the most effective response. If you want to establish trust, Just listen to him¨

¨A woman who knows what to say can make a man drop his newspaper in the chair and spend the evening in her arms¨ This one made me chuckle

¨Make him feel safe enough to love you¨

....And Most importantly....

Her Lord;

¨Without God all thing are hollow and worthless¨

¨Just run as fast as you can - walk if you must, in fact crawl if necessary - to the Word of God¨

¨You must be a cunning woman. A cunning woman is a woman who is intelligent and discerning enough to know what it is she needs and who possesses the ability to accomplish the goal she has determined. The goal is to have an intimate relationship with God¨

¨If you are not married, take a long, intense look at the one whom you are planning to marry, especially if you see yourself as a woman who will inevitable rise to a position of success and accomplishment. Make sure you are with a man who not only understands your desire to achieve but who is proud of it as well¨ On point!!! 

¨A virtuous woman can manage to have it all. God has shown her how to manage her life, He has shown her hot to choose a man who is not intimidated and who can enter into her life feeling wanted rather than just needed. Do you want to be a woman of virtue? It's hard work, but believe me, it is worth it¨ 

¨I know you might not feel like you have the solutions, but have faith in God and in yourself and answers will come. You and God are the tag team that wins the fights and takes home the trophy¨

***
Note to self

I did enjoy reading the book and when I was done my aim for buying it which I wrote (Picture above) was fulfilled. Learnt to put things in proper perspective although all this learning is for the future when the circle is complete but no knowledge is lost right? I am in training. ;)

I think that Its a book the a Lady should read and when you do pick it up don't lost interest because of all Td Jakes' grammar in the beginning the book picks up and you would enjoy the flow.

My next book?

When Heaven weeps - Ted Dekker! I have read it before but I want to read with fresh eyes :)
You are next!!!

So, Have you read The Lady, Her lover and Her Lord? What did you think? What book are you reading/reading next? 


P.S: Blogger 'bloggers' have you noticed the new option to add pictures from your phone directly??? This is an awesome update I noticed, now I don't have to email myself the picture before I can upload on the blog once its synced I can access it! Whhhoooop!! who else has seen it?


Categories: , ,