Dear 18-year-old-me

Posted by Tomi O on Monday, September 22, 2014 with 17 comments


Hey Girl,

I see you just turned 18 and I know you are uber-excited. Mummy Bankole will call you today and tell you these words ''You're 18 now, you've become responsible'' and she means it but something she missed out is  responsibility is not imputed to you because of your age, you have to learn to be it. Don't brush it off, own it and learn to be responsible.



Look at you all innocent, Its cute and all but I need you to quit being innocent this has gotten you in trouble and from the look of things will get you into more trouble. I'm not trying to be hard on you, let me explain what I mean. I know you are intelligent, but I need you to be sharp and stop being oblivious and really take responsibilty for your life. Not everyone has your best intentions at heart. Stop assuming everyone does.

In the same light(but may sound contradictory) do not lose your trust in people, balance is key. Balance it out. Wisdom is profitable to direct.
I know right now you are battling with low self esteem because nobody exactly believes in you but let me tell you one thing you are smart and in about a year from now you will have every reason to doubt what you've believed about yourself for most of your teenage years. Its not going to be an easy phase for you but you need to start believing in yourself for yourself. Get ready.

I know you hold alot of resentment against your parents right now for not believing in you, for sending you to that school without their proper research about it and the other little things that lead you here but I promise it will get better, you will get better. Forgive. Really Forgive, because you are just hurting yourself by holding that much toxic stuff inside and its beginning to make you bitter. Let it go because when you finally do some years from now, you will wonder why you didn't earlier.

Do.not.date.boys. DONT! and shun those ones that don't even what to define what they want from you, really. This piece of advice is not for now, keep it in your left palm you will need it in a few years. Trust me.

I know you go to church on Sunday and you believe in Jesus but I need you to stop being lukwarm about it, its more that what mummy says or what you should do to not go to hell, God wants a relationship with you. God shouldn't be a part of your life, your life should be centred around him and your life will be better for it, contrary to what you think right now the 'SU' is not an extreme, its the life. little hint, You will live like one soon! oh yes, without earring and trousers.

I see you forbidding it. Lol. best believe girl!

Finally, I love you very much. These are some of the things I wish you knew about in this phase of your life but I am grateful. Grateful for you, grateful to you for who I am now. Thank you for being too innocent to a fault, Thank you for all your flaws, thank you for the ignorant mistakes you made and thank you for being focused and firm with your dreams.

Every step, every misstep, every decision you made and the ones you didn't make led me here. Exactly where God has me today. Thank you.

Thank God.
Cheers to the future!

24!

Ever think of writing a letter to your old self? What advice will you give your younger self?
***

Have you come to an end of yourself? Have you come to a point where nothing else seems to be working out and you've tried all you could? Click to meet GRACE