''Was very doubtful I was going to get admitted into school'' My God & I with Temilade

Posted by Tomi O on Wednesday, September 24, 2014 with 8 comments

FH: Tell us about you.

My name is Temilade Adefioye, most people call me Temi or Temmy. I'm currently doing my Masters program, I love to read, write, cycle and swim. Most people say I'm a very lovely person and I agree with that *:) happy


FH: When did you give your life to Christ?


I gave my life to Christ on September 11, 2000 (not 2011 of the 9/11 saga) 


FH: What were the events that led up to making the decision?


I was a normal teenager in search of a life of love and comfort but at the same time very inquisitive about religion and God. I was attending a church that preached so much about pleasing God and going to heaven. The preaching about the rapture and the second coming scared me a lot and I didn't want to be left behind, the only way out was to give my life to Christ, so I did. 
After then, I just continued living life normally without seeking a deeper relationship with God until I got to a point where I wasn't sure if I was truly born-again. I was attending church services with one of my family friends and on our way to church one day, I told her I wasn't sure if I was born-again, she asked me some basic questions, my answers convinced me that I was and so I sought to have a deeper relationship with God (I wanted to be like Aimee Semple McPherson *:) happy) .


FH: What challenges have you experienced in your walk with God?


I have experienced so many challenges in my walk with God. I have experienced situations such as the death of a cousin who I looked up to which made me question the existence of God. I've had to deal with joblessness, frustration and an accident with left me with some scars which made me question the love of God in my life, I have also had to deal with doubts and fears especially with my finance, career, marriage and future.


FH: What practical steps did you take to deal with them? 


With each situation I face, God surrounds me with very good friends, not just good people, but good Christians friends who provide me with support such as prayers and words of comfort. God uses them so many times to direct me to Bible passages and similar situations in their lives they have experienced and came out strong. In addition to my friends, I make it a point of duty to read Christian and inspirational books and listen to gospel music.
So the steps I take in summary-Reading the Bible, surrounding myself with positive people, reading Christian books, listening to gospel music. 


FH: There are times in our walk where we don't exactly feel top notch, what keeps you going in those times? 


I find that most times when I'm really down and absolutely clueless even about what Bible verse to read and which friend to talk to, a song I have listened to in the past begins to play in my head. I think this is the Holy Spirit's way of comforting me. If there are no songs in my head, then what comes to mind could be Bible passages, portions in a book I have read or parts of a conversation I had with someone in the past. 


FH: Alot of Christians out there have the major challenge of dealing with Sin, whats your take on this? and how do you think we can overcome sin?


I think if you don't have a sin, temptation or something negative to deal with, then maybe you have ignored God so much that you don't have that Spirit check any more. Sometimes, it may not be sin you have to deal with, it could be anxiety or doubt. At every point, there is always something to deal with. It may not be very easy, but the only way we can overcome sin is by asking for the help of God promptly. There are times when I've been tempted to do things my way and it has never resulted in any good, but that doesn't mean I will not do it next time, it just means I'm human and I really need the help of God. 


FH: Can you share the most remarkable time/season in your walk with God?


The most remarkable time in my walk with God was when I got admission into the university for my undergraduate course. It was at a time when it was very difficult to get admission into the university in Nigeria, when it was a matter of who you knew. It became particularly difficult for me when I began to learn that most of my mates from secondary school were in their third year in the university and my younger sister was also about finishing secondary school. I could not imagine why I couldn't get into the university because I came out with very good grades in my Secondary certificate examinations. 
It affected me so much that I always got into trouble at home because myself-esteem was going down the hill. I was having a conversation with one of my family friends and she told me about her school, I applied but was very doubtful I was going to get admitted because there was age limit on admission. I was really shocked to find out that as young as I was, I was becoming too old to get into a private school. I prayed about it and God's specific words to me were 'I will restore the years that the locust and the canker worms have eaten' (Joel 2:25-27). At first, I was very doubtful but I got the admission and each step of the way throughout the course, God was with me, for every tough time I faced, there was a word just there to guide and comfort me. At the end of my undergraduate degree, the only thing I could say was that 'He did repay me back!'


FH: What is your relationship with God like today?


My relationship with God today is very wonderful. Though there are times when I still have my lows feel I'm loosing it. With each passing day however, His mercies are renewed to me


FH: Words of encouragement that you have for people in whatever phase they are in right now? 


A number of Bible verses really keep me going these days, I like to link them with each other because I feel they touch every aspect of my life.
When I'm in trouble - Your troubles will go away like water beneath a bridge, and your darkest night will be brighter than noon. You will rest safe and secure, filled with hope and emptied of worry. You will sleep without fear and be greatly respected (Job 11:16-19-Contemporary English Version)
When I'm in doubt - Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away- Mark 13:31 
When my doubt is getting out of hand - O Lord, you are true to your promises and your words a like silver, purified seven times in a furnace of clay (Psalm12:6-I can't remember the Bible version)
When I doubt God's existence - The fool in his heart says 'There is no God' (Psalm 14:1a-NIV)

I think those are the things that bother me most, when I'm faced with troubles, I remember the first passage and then when I doubt the first passage, I remember the second, when I doubt the second, I remember the third, I get to the peak of my doubt when I doubt God's existence, then I remember the fourth and my strength is renewed.



Temilade is a simple, fun loving, not perfect in any way person. she loves to gist, loves her friends, loves her family, currently loving swimming, but most importantly, she loves God and loves Him more each day. She is not a random person found just about everywhere; she is unique, special and apt for God's purpose. As each day unfolds, God helps her discover who she is in Him as she evolves into who He wants her to be in Him. She knows why she is here on earth-she was created for God's glory, so all the glory returns to God, thank you for making her who she is!

She blogs at: http://temiladeadefioye.blogspot.com/


Have you come to an end of yourself? Have you come to a point where nothing else seems to be working out and you've tried all you could? Click to meet GRACE